DEO
J Barry Galbraith
2005-06-08 15:33:56 UTC
I have been paying maintenance through the CSA since 1994. Suddenly without
warning they decide to issue a DEO.

The first I know about this is when I get my payslip!! After numerous faxes
and phone conversations they cancel the DEO.

Then- about a month after sending me a revised schedule of payments they
send me a letter telling me they have issued a DEO and enclose a copy.

I have spent the last two months trying to (a) find out why? and (b) get
them to cancel it.

I have no objection to paying maintenance - but why issue a DEO when I have
been paying by standing order for 11 years?

In the end I rang the Magistrates' Court to get it listed for a hearing -
but couldn't find anyone there who knew anything about the CSA and they
suggested I try the County Court. The County Court were not interested as
they had not issued the Order.

I tried to explain to them that no Court had issued the Order but the CSA
themselves - to no avail.

I am getting very exasperated by all this.
Martin Davies
2005-06-08 16:02:06 UTC
Post by J Barry Galbraith
[...]
Challenging a DEO in magistrates court is tricky, and ultimately doesn't
achieve a lot as its only against a particular DEO - which can be put on
again with new DEO minutes after one is cancelled.
Usually only done where a DEO itself is wrong (your details or your
employers details wrong).
It can take time but you need to speak to the CSA to persuade the CSA to
cancel the DEO. As you've been paying all this time it shouldn't be a
problem - just you'll never know when they will impose one again.
Either it will be computer error or staff error - both have their problems
so could be either. Don't concentrate on the why just yet (save that for
complaint after), just concentrate on getting the DEO taken off.
Sometimes it takes just one call, sometimes several. Its not the helpline
you need to speak to, its the debt management staff you need - or complaints
resolution officers.

Martin <><
J Barry Galbraith
2005-06-09 12:58:56 UTC
The DEO is defective because:

1. They failed to issue it for the reasons given in their publications;
2. They failed to follow Civil Procedure rules for the issuing of Court
Orders, specifically in that they gave no warning of their intent to issue a
Court Order and therefore denied me any opportunity to oppose it.

I see little option now other than going through other agencies. I have
almost 80 pages of correspondence on this (not including the phonecalls).
Unless anyone can give me the name and fax number of an official who will
actually do something that is...

Barry
Martin <><
Fletcher
2005-06-08 17:33:25 UTC
Isn't it quite wonderfull in this "Land of freedom" that a bunch lowlife
Gestapo scum that have almost next to no training, who constantly fail in
just about every way possible, don't even know nor understand their own
rules have the full endorsment of the government to utterly abuse you for
absolutly no reason what so ever and without having to explain why or to
justify it to you anyone else and that the courts have no interest in
justice for you!

Something the public thinks is only happening to suspected terrorists!
NACSA CHAIR
2005-06-08 19:20:09 UTC
As Martin points out, you need to take this up directly with CSA...CRO
level, or even write directly to Area Director. They are the people that
have the authority to cancel DEOs.

As for the letter, read it carefully...does sentence one say they are
collecting by DEO, and then mention future payments by another method???
Standard letters are written to allow DEO to collect on the first payment
after a revision - if a DEO was in place originally - but it may not
necessarily mean that a DEO will be used.....you need to speak to CSA.

NACSa CHAIR
Bruce
2005-06-08 20:01:30 UTC
It seems as if they the csa have finnaly found something they can do
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
J Barry Galbraith
2005-06-09 12:51:10 UTC
This is the whole point - I have taken it up directly with the CSA. I have
been speaking and writing to the CSA since last February.

I am told on the phone that it looks like a mistake but they need to speak
to the person who issued the Order. He is invariably out of the office, on
holiday, on the phone, in a meeting - just generally unavailable.

After speaking to them I got them to cancel the first Order. After they
sent me a revised schedule (because the amount I was paying looked odd) they
then send me a SO mandate for my bank. A couple of weeks later they then
issue another Order.

I have tried talking to them - it is like talking to a sponge - they just
agree with me and say that they think it is wrong - yet still nothing gets
done and still they ignore my faxes and still they don't return my calls and
still they don't phone me in the timeframe they say they will.

The letter they sent me in April included a copy of the DEO and a schedule
to June 06. For some unfathomable reason the 'regular maintenance' column
drops to zero in 2006 - shortly after my son's 13th Birthday!

I now believe the system does not work and should perhaps be judicially
reviewed.

Their own publications state that a DEO can be applied because:

1. I have asked for it to be used as a method of payment;
2. I have not paid child maintenance regularly and other collection methods
have not worked.

(page 4 leaflet CSL114)

Neither of these reasons apply.

What is a CRO and woudl I write to the Area Director at the Hastings
address? How do I even find out what 'area' they consider me to be in?

Sorry - I sould liek I am whinging now - but these people really grind you
down.

Barry

I have tried to be reasonable, tried to speak to them, feel I have done
everything I could reasonably be expected to do -
Fletcher
2005-06-10 07:58:16 UTC
You have to understand that you are dealing with a Gestapo like organisation
that is endorsed by government, these scumbags have no controls, they are a
law unto themselves hence the reason they fail in a magnitude unsurpassed by
any other 'normal' business. Asking for anything is pretty much a waste of
time. They pride themselves in ignoring any request by the male NRPs.

The only chance anyone has of getting anything done with this Gestapo mob is
via you MP if that means you need to make yourself a nuisance by annoying
him/her, sitting on his door step every day then that's what you need to do.

Don't expect the idiots in the circus to do anything I mean just look at the
joke, Smith that ran the organisation for years!
Post by NACSA CHAIR
Post by NACSA CHAIR
Post by NACSA CHAIR
Post by J Barry Galbraith
Post by NACSA CHAIR
J Barry Galbraith
2005-06-10 09:08:44 UTC
I now have it listed at the Magistrates' Court in July and am seeing my MP
tonight.

I am so glad I did so much of this by fax.

Barry
Post by J Barry Galbraith
Post by J Barry Galbraith
Post by Fletcher
Post by J Barry Galbraith
Post by J Barry Galbraith
I have been paying maintenance through the CSA since 1994.
Suddenly
Post by Fletcher
Post by J Barry Galbraith
Post by NACSA CHAIR
Post by Fletcher
without
Post by J Barry Galbraith
warning they decide to issue a DEO.
The first I know about this is when I get my payslip!! After
numerous
Post by J Barry Galbraith
Post by NACSA CHAIR
Post by Fletcher
faxes
Post by NACSA CHAIR
Post by J Barry Galbraith
Post by NACSA CHAIR
Post by NACSA CHAIR
Post by Fletcher
Post by J Barry Galbraith
them to cancel it.
I have no objection to paying maintenance - but why issue a DEO
when
Post by Fletcher
Post by J Barry Galbraith
Post by NACSA CHAIR
Post by Fletcher
have
Post by NACSA CHAIR
Post by J Barry Galbraith
Post by NACSA CHAIR
Post by J Barry Galbraith
Post by NACSA CHAIR
ACADd
2005-06-12 19:23:01 UTC
I cant see what the problem is. You pay taxes direct from income so why no
child support via a DEO . If any thing it will help people save time as its
one less thing to worry about .
J Barry Galbraith
2005-06-13 08:11:53 UTC
It's about choice.

It's about having a Court Order imposed by a Govt Organisation without
following procedure

it's about having paid by standing order for more than a decade and suddenly
they apparently think I am going to default

it's about a poor use of public funds

it's about how people in the Finance dept talk about me - the csa give only
2 reasons in their publications for a deo - request or default. i cannot
imaging many people asking for a deo so I suspect most others think the
same. therefore a reasonable assumption is that they wil lthink i am a
defaulter and don't want to pay for my kids.

it's is about those things and more.
Fletcher
J Barry Galbraith

Bruce
2005-06-30 22:13:21 UTC
I phoned the CSA and the other day regarding my DEO and they informed me
that a D/Debit is probably the only way to get it revoked.
If anyone can shed a bit off light on this it would be much appreciated.
Also what happens if you change jobs to another company.
Martin Davies
2005-07-01 06:34:21 UTC
Post by Bruce
I phoned the CSA and the other day regarding my DEO and they informed me
that a D/Debit is probably the only way to get it revoked.
If anyone can shed a bit off light on this it would be much appreciated.
Also what happens if you change jobs to another company.
A direct debit is almost as bad as a DEO. CSA control the amount and can
change it when they want.
Standing order or giro slips are better.

Change jobs and whatever payment method you had moves with you - ie if DEO,
the CSA send the new company a DEO.

Martin <><
Tony K
2005-08-07 19:40:50 UTC
Go for the Standing order, thats about the only thing I would trust them
with!!! The DOE's have a rather negative effect on your works personnel
department "dead beat dads and all that
Martin <><
NACSA CHAIR
2005-08-07 20:56:37 UTC
Standing orders are the best method, but CSA will not always accept them
(depending on history of case)

Anyone using standing orders should ensure that the mandate clearly states
that the payment is for child support payments and should always carry your
CSA reference number

NACSA CHAIR