Attn: £ £ £ £ £ PAPADAVE £ £ £ £ £
Nomen Nescio
2008-07-15 19:10:04 UTC
Just wanted to share these lovely pictures with some of you folk out there!

http://www.jamd.com/search?assettype=g&assetid=3430437&text=glasgow+gorbals+50%2527s
http://www.jamd.com/search?assettype=g&assetid=3429925&text=glasgow+gorbals+50%2527s

Couldn\'t believe I found it!!! Here\'s Florence Street back court and the ditch would have been approximately where the person was that took this picture! Gosh!!! Amazing!!! I could have spoken with some of those people in that picture!!!

http://www.jamd.com/search?assettype=g&assetid=3381764&text=glasgow+gorbals+florence

Florence Street...

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2072470950047537350RZyhRY
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2566783580047537350wgzAGn
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2027453090047537350FTOBzi
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2043155550047537350fqvHwE

j***@gmail.com
2008-07-16 03:18:07 UTC
Post by Nomen Nescio
Just wanted to share these lovely pictures with some of you folk out there!
http://www.jamd.com/search?assettype=g&assetid=3430437&text=glasgow+gorbals+50%2527s
http://www.jamd.com/search?assettype=g&assetid=3429925&text=glasgow+gorbals+50%2527s
Couldn\'t believe I found it!!! Here\'s Florence Street back court and the ditch would have been approximately where the person was that took this picture! Gosh!!! Amazing!!! I could have spoken with some of those people in that picture!!!
http://www.jamd.com/search?assettype=g&assetid=3381764&text=glasgow+gorbals+florence
Florence Street...
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2072470950047537350RZyhRY
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2566783580047537350wgzAGn
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2027453090047537350FTOBzi
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2043155550047537350fqvHwE
/Thanks for the photos, a great collection, truly nostalgic.

Then (1955):
http://www.jamd.com/image/g/3381764

Now (2000) gone are the tenement buildings:
http://www.glasgowguide.co.uk/gorbals/flost1.html
http://www.glasgowguide.co.uk/gorbals/flost2.html

Don't know about you but I'd sooner have 'then' than 'now'.
Poor times but as kids we were probably happier then than they are now
- no Playstations, X-boxes, Nike trainers and other materialistic crap
- I like your picture of the girl with her pretend shop made out of a
box.
Funnily enough just like most of Thailand is still today.

I grew up in South London, not the leafy lanes of Kent, Mum and Dad's
2 up-2down terrace house had been bombed out during the war so I was
lucky to grow up in a new housing development. There I had a second-
hand bike, matchbox toys, a Davy Crockett outfit and trees to climb.
It was my heaven!
Fletcher
2008-07-16 11:14:22 UTC
They flattened a lot of these buildings before they finally realised that
they could be renovated and that was a far better and cheaper option, some
of these buildings that were considered slums and ear marked for demolition
in Glasgow now sell for quarter of a million, not for the building but for
one flat in such a building!