Please help !!!
*-*
2003-07-17 15:12:27 UTC
Hiya,

I have been divorced now for approx 4 years, since our split (she walked
out on me !), she has had 2 more kids. She is working and gets Working
tax credit, etc... . So this means that her monthly money doesnt come
into the assessment. I have been on cs1 now for approx 2.5 years. I
currently pay her 235.00 a month. This is due to my housing costs being
so high (850.00) per month, council tax is 85.00.

I bring home 1550 a month net.

I have asked her to stop the CSA, she agreed with this and stated if I
gave her 200.00 a month, she would be happy. But she is playing games
and says she will do it, but doesnt ring, etc.

I feel like I'm going mad, cos I want to move on with my life so much, I
have met somebody else and want to get a house together or move in with
her. BUT if I do this, it will mean either no housing costs or a very
big drop. This will mean my csa will rise drastically !!!!! I think to
around 500.00 a month???? BUT would love that confirmed by somebody on
here.

I have phoned the CSA helpline to ask when I will be going over to CS2,
they have said in approx 5 years.

How do I proceed from here, cos I'm already really struggling now, I so
want to start a new life with my new partner, but am not being allowed
the same rights that my ex has now.

She brings in alot more than myself a month for 17 hours work, with all
the benefits, etc....

This cannot be right!!!

The CSA say to see my MP, this wont mean I change from CS1 to CS2, but
may speed up the change over.

If I do move in with my new partner, she is on a good wage, do I have to
tell them about her and if I refuse (which she will !!!) , what will
that mean to the assessment???

Firstly, how much roughly would my assessment be if I moved in with my
new partner on the above salary (she has a child of her own)

secondly, how can this be right!!! NRP's are not allowed to move on with
there lives, she shouldnt have this hold over me. I dont resent paying
for my child at the CS2 rate, cos this does allow a NRP to have a
partner, etc....

PLEASE HELP, I feel so low with this ;-(

Thanks

Gary
CANCSA
2003-07-17 15:29:19 UTC
Your ex would be better putting her request in writing to withdraw her
authority for the CSA to act.
Have a think about typing the letter yourself with the case number and her
address etc and get her to sign it, then you take the trouble to post it
yourself. Take the Route 1 Method.

If your ex is getting £235 per month from you, why should she go out of her
way to change things? It is nice easy money.

CANCSA
ANTI-CSA
www.cancsa.org
Gary
Martin Davies
2003-07-17 15:52:47 UTC
Post by *-*
[...]
The housing costs on the house you move into become yours.
But if less than what you pay now, then yes your assessment would go up.

Post by *-*
around 500.00 a month???? BUT would love that confirmed by somebody on
here.
Possibly as much as that - possibly even more.
Need more info to say for certain. How many kids are being paid for?
Possible housing costs on partner's house?
Post by *-*
I have phoned the CSA helpline to ask when I will be going over to CS2,
they have said in approx 5 years.
Really? Its not their decision.
Its the MPs decision - and you are really looking next spring at the
earliest, I would guess.
Once you do transfer over, the assessment would change to the new amount at
the rate of £10 a week per year for a lot of people.

So if paying £50, and new assessment £25, first year would pay £40, 2nd year
pay £30 and so on.
Post by *-*
How do I proceed from here, cos I'm already really struggling now, I so
want to start a new life with my new partner, but am not being allowed
the same rights that my ex has now.
She brings in alot more than myself a month for 17 hours work, with all
the benefits, etc...
True - but she should also have more outgoings, with the kids etc.

And one alternitive is for her to go onto benefits, then at least she
wouldn't bring in more than you.

At least she is working - which is more than some people do.
And possibly paying as much or more than you in child support herself.

.
Post by *-*
This cannot be right!!!
The CSA say to see my MP, this wont mean I change from CS1 to CS2, but
may speed up the change over.
Not really - the people with the biggest impact on speeding up the
changeover is.....the computer company responsible for the new computer
system.
Mps can do nothing about it - neither can the CSA (apart from their people
ring the engineers to sort out problems).
Existing cases won't transfer until everything is ok with the new system.
Otherwise you turn a computer system having problems and dealing with 60,000
cases into a computer system dealing with near a million cases. And slowing
all actions (reviews, appeals, new claims, change of circs, etc) right down.
Post by *-*
If I do move in with my new partner, she is on a good wage, do I have to
tell them about her and if I refuse (which she will !!!) , what will
that mean to the assessment???
You don't have to tell them about her.
They have to ask about her - but cannot demand the info.
Just watch out though - they can fine people for lying.

But she'll make little or no difference in the assessment. Unless the ex
applies for a departure based on new partners ability to pay towards the
housing costs of the property.
Post by *-*
Firstly, how much roughly would my assessment be if I moved in with my
new partner on the above salary (she has a child of her own)
Under normal assessment - either no change due to new partner, or a
reduction.

But new housing costs will affect the assessment.
Post by *-*
secondly, how can this be right!!! NRP's are not allowed to move on with
there lives, she shouldnt have this hold over me.
She's not allowing you to move on with your life.
Up to you if you do something or not - but any change in circumstances
affecting a variable used in the assessment can affect the assessment.

I dont resent paying
Post by *-*
for my child at the CS2 rate, cos this does allow a NRP to have a
partner, etc....
Really?
The CS2 rate is better for some NRPs, worse for others. And far worse for
anyone who has a case on the old system and then has a new one start on the
new system.

You pay £235 now.
If you have 1 child, under the new scheme you pay £232.50.

A whole £2.50 drop.

If you have 2 kids, the assessment goes up to £310.

But if you live with your new partner, with her child too, then the above
figures for 1 child to pay for would be:

£197.63 (a reduction of £34.87 because of the child living with you)

And if you have 2 kids to pay for would be: £263.50.

The CS2 rate, like the old system formula, doesn't take account of the
child's cost.
The biggest difference is that it ignores PWCs, PWC partners totally, and
ignores NRP partners almost totally.
And no housing costs allowed.

Martin <><
Gary
*-*
2003-07-17 16:08:31 UTC
Martin,

Firstly thanks for your help.

I have 1 little girl aged 5, housing costs on partners house are low (mortgage
300.00, council 95.00), BUT we are talking of getting a joint mortage and moving
into a new house together. Will this cause problems or can I just say that I am
paying the whole mortgage and council tax. The problem comes when they ask for
proof of the mortgage and it has my new partners name on it, will this allow
them to take it further with her ???? If not, I just need to get a house where
the mortgage is around 850.00 a month ????

Can you please confirm and stop my feeling this low about not being able to move
forward ;-(

Thanks

Gary
Gary
Martin Davies
2003-07-17 16:34:00 UTC
Post by *-*
Martin,
Firstly thanks for your help.
I have 1 little girl aged 5, housing costs on partners house are low (mortgage
300.00, council 95.00),
Ignore the council tax - it won't make a difference.

Post by *-*
into a new house together. Will this cause problems
Not with the CSA. Your ex may have a word or 2 to say about it - but its
nothing to do with her.

or can I just say that I am
Post by *-*
paying the whole mortgage and council tax.
If you have someone as your partner, you can be treated as paying 100% of
the housing costs (up to a limit, but limit won't apply to you because of
the child in the house).

Post by *-*
proof of the mortgage and it has my new partners name on it, will this allow
them to take it further with her ????
They can't do a thing with her.
You would be allowed the housing costs.

Post by *-*
the mortgage is around 850.00 a month ????
I can sell you my house for that sort of mortgage. :)
Not worth that much though (pity).

Seriously, its up to you what price house you buy and what size mortgage you
get.
Check out www.fool.co.uk for some good mortgage (and other financial) info.
Helped me save a lot on my remortgage.

If your mortgage was £200 a month less, normal rise in assessment would be
£100 a month or less.
The assessment doesn't change at the same rate the vairiable does - normally
its only a 50p in the pound change (less for higher earners).
Post by *-*
Can you please confirm and stop my feeling this low about not being able to move
forward ;-(
You can move forwards.

Even with staying with your partner in £300 a month house, assessment
wouldn't be impossible.

With that sort of mortgage, assessment would be somewhere round about £105 a
week - £455 a month.
Only a rough figure, as the ex's other kids complicate things a bit (or a
lot). Do they both have the same dad? Or 2 different ones?

That £105 rough figure is the maximum - without getting too complicated in
the maintenance requirement bit, the assessment could be a fair bit lower.
I'd be very suprised if your assessment was correct and was that high.

The CSA may not agree (at least the staff you talk to sometimes anyway), but
other kids in her house do mean that with your income, your assessment is
less than of those other kids didn't exist. Check with NACSA chair about
that (comes on this newsgroup a lot), but I'm fairly sure the CSA policy
people have confirmed it.

Have you got your last assessment? Look on the maintenance requirement
figure (near the start of the assesssment).
That has a big impact if you only then have £300 a month housing costs.

Best wishes,

Martin <><
Post by *-*
Thanks
Gary
Gary
*-*
2003-07-17 16:43:01 UTC
Martin,

My ex partner had a 7 year old boy from a previous marriage before I met her
(that father doesnt pay anything). The other 2 children after me are from yet
another father.

She has 4 kids in total, I know that the first child before mine made a
difference to my assessment, but never been re assessed since we split, should
the other 2 children after split change MY assessment ????

Thanks for advice, things dont look as bad as I thought !!!

Gary
Post by *-*
[...]
Post by *-*
Thanks
Gary
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by Martin Davies
the rate of £10 a week per year for a lot of people.
So if paying £50, and new assessment £25, first year would pay £40, 2nd
year
Post by *-*
Post by Martin Davies
pay £30 and so on.
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Gary
Martin Davies
2003-07-17 17:00:25 UTC
Post by *-*
Martin,
My ex partner had a 7 year old boy from a previous marriage before I met her
(that father doesnt pay anything). The other 2 children after me are from yet
another father.
So 3 assessment units or potential assessment units.
Doesn't matter, as I recall, if she has CSA cases for them or not.

The other 2 assessment units make a difference to your assessment.

Maybe, or maybe not, with your current assessment. Your assessable income
will be quite low, and you may be on the borderline of having the
maintenance requirement figure affect the assessment. Certainly worth
looking into, but might not actually change things at the moment.

With moving in with partner, the fact that there are 3 assessment units
could make quite a big difference to the assessment.

So with £450 a month drop in housing costs (from 850 to 300), the assessment
might only rise a bit.

As I recall (and someone please double check me on this), the 3 assessment
units (3 daddies if you like) would cause the carer premium and family
premium part of the maintenance requirement to be split between 3 - so 1/3rd
of both on your maintenance requirement figure.

I can't work out the exact figure - not in my head at the moment anyway -
but it won't be high.

Best wishes,

Martin <><
Post by *-*
[...]
Post by *-*
Thanks
Gary
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by Martin Davies
the rate of £10 a week per year for a lot of people.
So if paying £50, and new assessment £25, first year would pay £40, 2nd
year
Post by *-*
Post by Martin Davies
pay £30 and so on.
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Gary
*-*
2003-07-18 08:50:12 UTC
Can somebody please confirm if Martin is correct about the assessment units??? I
was originally assessed when it first started and then I was reassessed about a
month later and it did drop by quite alot, this was down to the 7 year old she
had, but I have never been reassessed since.

Is it worth me calling the csa re this matter now or should I wait until I move
in with or buy a house with my new partner ???

Also can you confirm that if I do get a joint mortgage with my new partner, that
I can claim I am paying full mortgage (even though it is both names) and have
this used in my assessment, without disclosing info about my new partner ??

Am I also right with Martin's advice that my new partners child would not come
into my assessment if I dont disclose new partners details???

Sorry to be a pain, but this has caused me sooooo many sleepless nights with the
worry of it all ;-(

Thanks for your advice Martin !!!!!!!!

Gary.
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
the housing costs (up to a limit, but limit won't apply to you because
of
Post by *-*
the child in the house).
Post by *-*
Can you please confirm and stop my feeling this low about not being
able
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
to move
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
less than of those other kids didn't exist. Check with NACSA chair about
that (comes on this newsgroup a lot), but I'm fairly sure the CSA policy
people have confirmed it.
Have you got your last assessment? Look on the maintenance requirement
figure (near the start of the assesssment).
That has a big impact if you only then have £300 a month housing costs.
Best wishes,
Martin <><
Post by *-*
Thanks
Gary
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by Martin Davies
Post by *-*
they have said in approx 5 years.
Really? Its not their decision.
Its the MPs decision - and you are really looking next spring at the
earliest, I would guess.
Once you do transfer over, the assessment would change to the new
amount
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
at
Post by *-*
Post by Martin Davies
the rate of £10 a week per year for a lot of people.
So if paying £50, and new assessment £25, first year would pay £40,
2nd
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
year
Post by *-*
Post by Martin Davies
pay £30 and so on.
Post by *-*
How do I proceed from here, cos I'm already really struggling now,
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
so
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by Martin Davies
Post by *-*
the same rights that my ex has now.
She brings in alot more than myself a month for 17 hours work,
with
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
all
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by Martin Davies
.
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by Martin Davies
Otherwise you turn a computer system having problems and dealing
with
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
60,000
Post by *-*
Post by Martin Davies
all actions (reviews, appeals, new claims, change of circs, etc)
right
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
down.
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
secondly, how can this be right!!! NRP's are not allowed to move
on
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
with
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by Martin Davies
affecting a variable used in the assessment can affect the
assessment.
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by Martin Davies
I dont resent paying
Post by *-*
for my child at the CS2 rate, cos this does allow a NRP to have a
partner, etc....
Really?
The CS2 rate is better for some NRPs, worse for others. And far
worse
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
for
Post by *-*
Post by Martin Davies
anyone who has a case on the old system and then has a new one start
on
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
the
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
Post by Martin Davies
child's cost.
The biggest difference is that it ignores PWCs, PWC partners
totally,
Post by *-*
Post by *-*
and
Gary
Lee
2003-07-18 13:19:08 UTC
Post by *-*
Can somebody please confirm if Martin is correct about the assessment units??? I
was originally assessed when it first started and then I was reassessed about a
month later and it did drop by quite alot, this was down to the 7 year old she
had, but I have never been reassessed since.
Yes. Martin's absolutely right.

The standard Maintenance Requirement for one child under eleven is about
£93pw.
Included in this figure is about £70 of Carer allowances and Family Premiums
If the PWC 'potentially' has other cases then this £70 figure is divided
between the cases.
Therefore:-
Maintenance Requirement with one NRP = £93 per case (inc carer/family
allowance of £70)
Maintenance Requirement with two NRP = £58 per case (inc carer/family
allowance of £35)
Maintenance Requirement with three NRP = £46 per case (inc carer/family
allowance of £23)

Basically what this means is that the level where you stop paying 50% of
your free income changes and you move onto 15% instead.

By my calculations, with an income of £1500pm and housing costs of £300pm
the assessment would be:-

£424pm if the PWC only has the one case.
£321pm if the PWC has another 'potential' case.
£282pm if the PWC has another two 'potential' cases.
Post by *-*
Is it worth me calling the csa re this matter now or should I wait until I move
in with or buy a house with my new partner ???
Now definately.
Based on your current figures, the difference between the PWC having two or
three cases could still affect the assessment by more than £10pw (enough for
them to implement the reduction).
Post by *-*
Also can you confirm that if I do get a joint mortgage with my new partner, that
I can claim I am paying full mortgage (even though it is both names) and have
this used in my assessment, without disclosing info about my new partner ??
Even if the mortgage is not in your name you'll still get 100% of the £300
allocated to your allowances.
It's only if the PWC applies for a Departure from the Formula that this
could change.

The CSA will obviously know your partner exists by the fact of the mortgage
statement you'll need to produce, however, you don't need to supply her
income details (see below).
Post by *-*
Am I also right with Martin's advice that my new partners child would not come
into my assessment if I dont disclose new partners details???
If you don't want the CSA to know that your partner exists, then no, there's
no way of having her child added to your assessment. However, if you want
any housing costs, then they're going to know about her anyway.

You don't need to supply her income details though and any threats of a
'penalty assessment' will be meaningless as it will still come out at the
same assessment figure. Your partner's child can still be added without your
partner's income details.

If/when your partner and her child are added to the case, it will not affect
the end result in any way.
However, when your case is converted to new rules, the child will make quite
a difference.

Personally, I think it's worth mentioning your partner and her child as soon
as it's relevant. The CSA are going to be inundated with Changes of
Circumstances when the new rules date is announced (because all these
children that they didn't know about will suddenly appear) - if you wait
until then you could find a long delay in actually getting the reassessment
done.
Gary.
*-*