Arrears and limitations
g***@gmail.com
2009-01-17 00:00:57 UTC
Wonder if anyone can shed any light, before I try and discuss it with
Them.

Little background: CSA case since 1997 (the end is in sight!). Need
reassessment for my own children and move to p/t work. Two years of
massive overpayments, consequent serious financial hardship and my MP
later....

I get a demand for a £3k debt 2 days before Christmas. 'Nothing we
can do until after Christmas, but we'll have a full breakdown done
then.' It was a fun Christmas. Jan arrives and the debt has shrunk
to £150, it was an 'administrative error'!

The new breakdown shows arrears at £1800 in 03, but I've got statments
from then giving the (proabably) correct figure of £700. The question
is, can they just increase my arrears by £1100 'because they want
to'. The line from the nice lady on the phone was 'we can at _any_
point change the amount you should have paid us, with no comeback'.
From the context and tone, I got the impression that she really meant
any - and given that they can now claim from my estate, even after my
demise they could 'reassess' the numbers from 50 years ago.

Anyway, my question boils down to. Can they, after 7 years, send my a
dozen pages of numbers and inform me that they have increased my
liability, despite already sending me statements to the contrary at
the time? I can't, for example, see that my mortgage company would
get away with it.
ManBearPig
2009-01-17 08:15:30 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
[...]
From the context and tone, I got the impression that she really meant
any - and given that they can now claim from my estate, even after my
demise they could 'reassess' the numbers from 50 years ago.
Anyway, my question boils down to.  Can they, after 7 years, send my a
dozen pages of numbers and inform me that they have increased my
liability, despite already sending me statements to the contrary at
the time?  I can't, for example, see that my mortgage company would
get away with it.
I'm afraid they can. They are above the law. Your mortgage company is
not run by Gordon Brown!
v***@gmail.com
not run by Gordon Brown!
v***@gmail.com
2009-01-17 08:49:09 UTC
Hi,

Re.:-
Post by ManBearPig
Post by g***@gmail.com
Anyway, my question boils down to.  Can they, after 7 years, send my a
dozen pages of numbers and inform me that they have increased my
liability, despite already sending me statements to the contrary at
the time?  I can't, for example, see that my mortgage company would
get away with it.
I'm afraid they can. They are above the law. Your mortgage company is
not run by Gordon Brown!
Surely the statutory six year limit would apply here. It applies to
HMRC and tax matters. Is it worth pointing that out to them /
asking? Fingers crossed for you.

Good luck.
ManBearPig
2009-01-17 11:01:47 UTC
Hi,
Re.:-
Post by ManBearPig
Post by g***@gmail.com
Anyway, my question boils down to.  Can they, after 7 years, send my a
dozen pages of numbers and inform me that they have increased my
liability, despite already sending me statements to the contrary at
the time?  I can't, for example, see that my mortgage company would
get away with it.
I'm afraid they can. They are above the law. Your mortgage company is
not run by Gordon Brown!
Surely the statutory six year limit would apply here.  It applies to
HMRC and tax matters.  Is it worth pointing that out to them /
asking?  Fingers crossed for you.
Good luck.
I don't think there are any limits as far as the CSA is involved. You
can't take them to court, so they can fuck you over with impunity, it
seems.
Fletcher
2009-01-17 12:21:13 UTC
Everyone should take this as a warning!

These bastards are :
1) Above the law now, they don't even have to go to court anymore, never
mind justify their actions before a judge
2) The MP's that you voted into government don't make many of the decisions
relating to this agency, they delegate those decisions to non elected
personnel
3) They are now highly motivated to achieve targets by cash incentives. To
this end any cash opportunity is a target.

They are utter bastards and they are not above lying, cheating and even
thieving.

Don't think playing nice with them carries any weight, challenge them on
every point of every issue, demand copies and proofs of everything and copy
everything to your MP.

Your dealing with the provisional wing of the treasury, the military arm of
the British Gestapo, the SS

<***@gmail.com> wrote in message news:dfd239d4-08d9-4941-9108-***@z28g2000prd.googlegroups.com...
[...]

From the context and tone, I got the impression that she really meant

get away with it.
ManBearPig
Anyone fancy a pint...
g***@gmail.com
2009-01-17 22:29:47 UTC
Fletch: MP is already involved. It took that to get them to start to
reassess based on the birth of my dependant child - over two years
ago.

Anyway, the word form the lady I spoke to was that, she claimed,
statute of limitations gave them from Jan 2000. I no legal beagle,
but this is not a debt that they have just failed to enforce, they
have failed to notify as well. More as and when, I guess.