redundancy or sickness?
louscannon
2008-04-14 12:22:43 UTC
I was off work for a number of years do to being assulted some time
ago. This prevented me from working for 5 years, and resulting in me
claiming DLA, incapcity benefit, and Housing benefit. Luckly, the CSA
payment was "frozen".

Now 5 years on, i'm happy to say that i'm well enough to go back to
work, and pay my taxes like everyone else! But I was shocked to find,
that the CSA are chasing me for arrears, for the time I was i'll!
(£3,500). Of course, I couldn't pay this at once, although the CSA
tried to pressure me into paying it all in one go. I reasoned with
them, and in the end, got them to spread the payments over 2 years! I
thought my payments would go down quite a bit since my eldest is now
19, but, in fact because of the arrears, it hasn't gone down as much
as i expected.

So now, as a result of finally getting well enough to work, i'm being
hammered for the CSA, Council Tax and rent! But what if I was made
redundant, would the CSA payment be "frozen" and if I found work later
on, would I be in arrears, and have to pay back the unpaid CSA
demand??
Lou
Toffee
2008-04-14 22:55:27 UTC
Were you ever reassessed during the time that you were off work ill? If
not, get that sorted straight away. At the flat rate, assuming no shared
care and no previous arrears, your arrears for that period would only be
£300 (I say only, it's still £300 but far less than £3,500). If that isn't
accepted, get a complaint in and an appeal at the decision. I'd also get a
complaint in regardless because to leave your case for 5 years before doing
anything is disgraceful and a reassessment for someone on benefits is really
straightforward.