Anything legal I can do?
Muggins
2008-09-05 23:58:51 UTC
I have had years and years of chasing my daughters father for CSA
payments. I have always worked so am a private client. We had a
private agreement until he frequently missed payments then would jet
off on holiday for weeks so I involved the CSA about 10 years ago. He
frequently changes jobs and they have to trace him through tax then
get a DEO, at one point I went without anything for over 2 years then
they "wrote off" his arrears.

Anyways last year I asked for a reassessment as I'd had a change in my
circumstances and he ignored all the letters asking for his details,
they made an interim assessment which he responded to (obviously didnt
like how much they were asking for), they made a new assessment after
it took him a year to give updated details and he then suddenly "lost
his job" after being told he owes me over 5k.

I have provided for my daughter for 15 years, he hasnt given her so
much as a christmas card in the last 10 years. He frequently changes
jobs, claims he doesnt live at his house (he's never moved in 25
years!) He married some girl with 4 kids so he could afford to stick
his hand in his pocket for them but never for our daughter. Payments
have been sporadic and irregular and we have to go through the whole
rigmarole tracing him again.

What I'd like to know is I know he has paid off his mortgage and owns
his house outright. His new wife left about 2 years ago so there's
only him to provide for now. Is there any legal route I can take to
force payment of arrears based on him owning his home as I dont
suppose he plans on getting a job anytime soon.
Fletcher
2008-09-06 16:52:10 UTC
So your wanting help to make an unemployed, twice divorced, guy homeless to
pay you your 5k?

Are you serious?

If he's unemployed he has very little income and CSA will be deducting their
cut from his benefit.

end of story.
Muggins
2008-09-07 06:49:08 UTC
Bit convenient "losing his job" when he gets a new maintenence
assessment isnt it so damn right I do!!!!! He can walk into a job
tomorrow if he wished, this is just a way of avoiding payment. Our
private arrangement was 40 quid a month, he couldnt be bothered to pay
that most of the time and bought new cars and went on foreign holidays
so I dont think I'm being harsh do you?
Fletcher
2008-09-08 14:44:25 UTC
Sorry but I just don't see that logic as viable,

I seriously doubt that he would deliberately become unemployed purely to
avoid giving you £40/month

1.8 Million people will disagree that anyone can walk into a job tomorrow if
they wished.

Cars and holidays don't make for lavish lifestyles, you said his "new"
partner had 4 kids, that would have had a cost and most families with kids
do need a car. You say new car but "new" could mean a £300 banger.

But I can understand how you might view it as all being directed against
paying you.

I'm not defending his failure to pay you on an agreed contract, all I'm
saying is I doubt he's living the life of Reilly on the dole just to get at
you.

If anyone owes you money you can pursue them legally, you can freeze bank
accounts, you can instruct bailiffs, get court orders against property
transactions and generally harass them but nothing on this planet can
"force" someone to pay you if they are determined not to do so. CSA's
ultimate sanction is jail, that and the threat of it has failed to "force"
payments from many NRP's.
Muggins
2008-09-18 23:14:07 UTC
No you get me wrong. Years ago we had a private arrangement of £40 a
month which he failled to pay on numerous occasions and went for
example to the dominican republic for 2 weeks, turned up in a NEW car
not a banger. After speaking to him about his faillure to pay a
paltry £40 a month he basically told me where to go so I said fine he
leaves me with no option but to involve the CSA. They assessed him
initially at £320 a month and THEN he wanted to play ball with me. He
arranged to meet me and DD in a park and spent the entire time talking
about money not once asking anything about his daughter.

Over the years as he's 1. married someone with 4 kids and 2. appears
to have another child my assessment went down to £98 a month which
again he sporadically paid, I went for long periods without anything.

Last year I asked for a reassessment because of a change in MY
circumstances and he ignored all the letters asking for updated
details, we were last assessed in 2001 (around the time I assume
another child came along as my payments suddenly halved) I discovered
his new wife had left him with her 4 kids (she's not mother of assumed
other child) so he was living alone and had zero housing costs as his
mortgage is paid in full. He got an interim assessment which he
suddenly responded to earlier this year and then supplied details and
was assessed at £98 a week backdated for 12 months as he had failled
to respond to requests for updated details. He then suddenly "lost
his job"

He's not poor by any means, he's got older children and how do you
think my daughter feels seeing pictures of her father on holiday
abroad with them when she doesnt even get so much as a christmas
card? Its not like I was a fling, I was with the guy 5 and a half
years!

As I previously said I have ALWAYS worked, I have always provided,
paid for uniforms, holidays, food, whatever she needs as any support
from him has been woefully lacking. She actually went down to his a
few months ago, a lad who knows him took her and he didnt have a clue
who she was despite there being a picture of her on his wall! When
the penny finally dropped he invited her to the pub! She politely
declined.....!

I'm fighting this for HER, He had no problem paying for his other
kids but my DD gets nothing, she didnt even get an invite to his
wedding whilst his other kids were all there.
Post by Muggins
Bit convenient "losing his job" when he gets a new maintenence
assessment isnt it so damn right I do!!!!!  He can walk into a job
tomorrow if he wished, this is just a way of avoiding payment.  Our
private arrangement was 40 quid a month, he couldnt be bothered to pay
that most of the time and bought new cars and went on foreign holidays
so I dont think I'm being harsh do you?- Hide quoted text -