UK peopel please help me!
babak khosravi
2008-04-26 23:16:59 UTC
hi evrybody,

I am from Holland, and just a newbi. few days ago I got this e-mail from
somebody from England, and they sugest That I have won 1000,000 Ponds, and
ask me to send information,to send me the money.but I can't trust them,and
my english is not so good, would you please help me, to find out that :is it
a phishing?or a scam? spam?a junk e-mail, rubish? or is it real? and I
really win this money?below you can read the the original e-mail of this
peopel.please give me a solution.don't forget that I have only 5 days time
thanking you very much in advance'
:-)
--
The British National Lottery
P O Box 1010

Ref: UK/9420X2/68
Batch: 074/05/ZY369
Ticket number:56475600545 188
Lucky Numbers: 05,06,17,20,28,42(Bonus33)

WINNING NOTIFICATION:

We wish to congratulate and inform you on the selection of cash prize
£1000,000.00 (British Pounds) held on the 1st april 2008
in London Uk.The selection process was carried out through random
selection in Ourcomputerized email selection system (ess) from a
database of over 250,000 email addresses drawn from which you were
selected. And Youre-mail address attached to ticket number:
56475600545 188 with Serial number 5368/02 drew the lucky numbers:
05, 06, 17, 20, 28, 42 (Bonus 33) ,which subsequently won you the
lottery in the 1st category i.e match 5 plus bonus.

You have therefore been approved to claim a total sum of 1 Million
Pounds,(One Million Pounds) in cash credited to fileKTU/9023118308/03.
This is from a total cash prize of 1000,000 Million Pounds,shared
amongst the (4)lucky winners in this category i.e Match 6 plus bonus.
For due processing of your winning claim,please contact the
FIDUCIARY AGENT Information Officer Mr. Ken Smith who has been
assigned to assist you. You are tocontact him with the following
details for the release of your winnings.

Agent Name: Mr.Ken Smith
Tel:Tel:+44-703-197-1576
+44-703-197-2053
Email:***@yahoo.co.uk

act him, please provide him with the following Requirements below:
Claims Requirements:

1.Name in full----------------------
2.Address---------------------------
3.Nationality-----------------------
4.Age-------------------------------
5.Occupation------------------------
6.Sex ------------------------------
7.Phone/Fax-------------------------
8.Present Country-------------------

If you do not contact your claims agent within 5 working days of this
Notification, your winnings would be revoked. Winners are advised to
keep their winning details/information from the public to avoid
Fraudulent claim (IMPORTANT) pending the prize claim by Winner.

*Winner under the age of 20 are automatically disqualified. *Staff of
the British Lottery are not to partake in this Lottery.

Accept my hearty congratulations once again!

Regards
Mrs. Stella Ellis
(Group Coordinator
Note that you are not to reply to this E-mail,please contact your
claimsofficer directly to start the processing of your claims
application form.
Mrcheerful
what do you think?
Palindrome
2008-04-26 23:24:59 UTC
http://www.joewein.de/sw/419msft.htm

Sue
Mrcheerful
2008-04-26 23:25:00 UTC
Post by babak khosravi
hi evrybody,
I am from Holland, and just a newbi. few days ago I got this e-mail
from somebody from England, and they sugest That I have won 1000,000
Ponds, and ask me to send information,to send me the money.but I
can't trust them,and my english is not so good, would you please help
me, to find out that :is it a phishing?or a scam? spam?a junk e-mail,
rubish? or is it real? and I really win this money?below you can read
the the original e-mail of this peopel.please give me a
solution.don't forget that I have only 5 days time thanking you very
much in advance' :-)
another good test is to paste some of the text into google and see what it
finds.
Karl Q.
2008-04-26 23:22:02 UTC
Post by babak khosravi
hi evrybody,
I am from Holland, and just a newbi. few days ago I got this e-mail from
somebody from England, and they sugest That I have won 1000,000 Ponds, and
ask me to send information,to send me the money.but I can't trust them,and
my english is not so good, would you please help me, to find out that :is it
a phishing?or a scam? spam?a junk e-mail, rubish? or is it real? and I
really win this money?below you can read the the original e-mail of this
peopel.please give me a solution.don't forget that I have only 5 days time
thanking you very much in advance'
It's a scam and a well known one.

What will happen is if you reply, they'll eventually tell you you need to
send them some money to cover fees before you can get the prize. They'll
keep doing this until you realise what has happened.

One time I use to bait the scammers and I ended up talking to these men on
the telephone. Some of them even wanted me to travel to collect the money
in person, some scary stuff.
alan holmes
2008-04-27 12:27:35 UTC
Post by Karl Q.
Post by babak khosravi
hi evrybody,
I am from Holland, and just a newbi. few days ago I got this e-mail from
somebody from England, and they sugest That I have won 1000,000 Ponds, and
ask me to send information,to send me the money.but I can't trust them,and
my english is not so good, would you please help me, to find out that :is it
a phishing?or a scam? spam?a junk e-mail, rubish? or is it real? and I
really win this money?below you can read the the original e-mail of this
peopel.please give me a solution.don't forget that I have only 5 days time
thanking you very much in advance'
It's a scam and a well known one.
What will happen is if you reply, they'll eventually tell you you need to
send them some money to cover fees before you can get the prize. They'll
keep doing this until you realise what has happened.
At this point I always tell them I will send the money immediately on
receipt of the prize!
Karl Q.
2008-04-27 19:02:41 UTC
Post by alan holmes
Post by Karl Q.
Post by babak khosravi
[...]
It's much more enjoyable to agree to pay the fee but on the condition that
they come and collect in person from you at a point in the middle of a
desert, which has been done! See the forums on 419eater.com
Andy Pandy
2008-04-27 16:03:23 UTC
Post by Karl Q.
Post by babak khosravi
somebody from England, and they sugest That I have won 1000,000 Ponds, and
ask me to send information,to send me the money.but I can't trust them,and
my english is not so good, would you please help me, to find out that :is it
a phishing?or a scam? spam?a junk e-mail, rubish? or is it real? and I
really win this money?below you can read the the original e-mail of this
peopel.please give me a solution.don't forget that I have only 5 days time
thanking you very much in advance'
It's a scam and a well known one.
That's what they want you to think...so you get caught by the *real*
scam.
Post by Karl Q.
What will happen is if you reply, they'll eventually tell you you need to
send them some money to cover fees before you can get the prize. They'll
keep doing this until you realise what has happened.
One time I use to bait the scammers and I ended up talking to these men on
the telephone.
THAT is the real scam.

As I've just posted on uk.finance....

The number quoted as the contact number is not a mobile number, as
some people mistake it for. It's a 50p/min "personal number".

UK mobile numbers mostly start 077/078/079, though a few start 075/076
now I think. 070 are personal numbers which are charged at a variety
of rates, this one (surprise surprise) is at the max 50p rate.

If you phone it you'll likely be put in a queue, or have to fight
through a "press 1 for this, press 2 for that" menu, anything to keep
you on the line for as long as possible. Some even answer but play a
ringing tone so you think the phone is still ringing (but are getting
charged to hear a playback of a ringing tone!).

The scam is actually designed to trap "scam baiters", who perhaps have
a daft mobile contract with far too many inclusive minutes and have
nothing better to do, so they think they'll use up some of their
inclusive minutes having some fun with the "scammers", pretending to
be a potential victim, when in fact they are a *real* victim, as
they'll find out when they get their phone bill!!

Think about it - if the OP *really* got this email and *really*
thought it could be genuine, do you think he'd publish full details of
how to claim his prize ??

This is a variation of the "missed call" scam, rather than the "419"
scam. Oftel did consider forcing telcos to give a pre-call
announcement on 070 numbers to prevent this sort of scam, but changed
their minds due to concerns about automatic alarm systems etc...

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/numbering03/070precall/

Andy
Karl Q.
2008-04-27 18:59:03 UTC
Post by Andy Pandy
THAT is the real scam.
As I've just posted on uk.finance....
The number quoted as the contact number is not a mobile number, as
some people mistake it for. It's a 50p/min "personal number".
UK mobile numbers mostly start 077/078/079, though a few start 075/076
now I think. 070 are personal numbers which are charged at a variety
of rates, this one (surprise surprise) is at the max 50p rate.
It could be that. But in my experience of baiting the expensive 070 number
is used because some Telcos allow it to be pointed at numbers based in
countries such as Nigeria at no expense to the receiving party rather than
as a way of generating revenue. It allows them to appear to be in the UK
but could be anywhere in the world.
Andy Pandy
2008-04-27 20:29:09 UTC
Post by Karl Q.
Post by Andy Pandy
THAT is the real scam.
As I've just posted on uk.finance....
The number quoted as the contact number is not a mobile number, as
some people mistake it for. It's a 50p/min "personal number".
UK mobile numbers mostly start 077/078/079, though a few start 075/076
now I think. 070 are personal numbers which are charged at a variety
of rates, this one (surprise surprise) is at the max 50p rate.
It could be that. But in my experience of baiting the expensive 070 number
Have you actually phoned one then? What happened?
Post by Karl Q.
as a way of generating revenue. It allows them to appear to be in the UK
but could be anywhere in the world.
It's true 070 can be directed almost anywhere - but if you phone an
070 number expecting to speak to Mr Ken Smith and get someone with a
strong Nigerian accent, it's going to arouse suspicion to a potential
419 victim. But perhaps a honeytrap to a 419 baiter??

But I can't believe it'd be profitable for someone to be on the end of
the phone, an unending menu system or something would be more likely
if it's a 070 scam.

Searching usenet there are loads of examples virtually identical to
this scam email, mostly without the 070 number, just an email address.
I suspect the 070 scammers have just adapted the 419 scam email for
their own scam.

If the OP really believed the email might be genuine, he'd hardly post
it in full with all reference numbers and contact details so anyone
could collect his prize!

Andy
Cynic
2008-04-30 13:23:02 UTC
Post by Karl Q.
It could be that. But in my experience of baiting the expensive 070 number
is used because some Telcos allow it to be pointed at numbers based in
countries such as Nigeria at no expense to the receiving party rather than
as a way of generating revenue. It allows them to appear to be in the UK
but could be anywhere in the world.
Exactly the same is true of a VOIP number that can be obtained
anonymously from anywhere in the World completely free of charge. So
the only reason to go to the trouble of getting a 070 number is indeed
to reap money from scam-baiters (and the occasional person who falls
for the more apparent scam).

I have an 0845 number, a London number, a New York number and a
Frankfurt number - none of which cost me a penny and all will ring an
ordinary telephone connected to my VOIP router with a quality that is
indistinguishable from a landline.
Cynic
Mrcheerful
2008-04-26 23:26:12 UTC
Post by babak khosravi
hi evrybody,
I am from Holland, and just a newbi. few days ago I got this e-mail
from somebody from England, and they sugest That I have won 1000,000
Ponds, and ask me to send information,to send me the money.but I
can't trust them,and my english is not so good, would you please help
me, to find out that :is it a phishing?or a scam? spam?a junk e-mail,
rubish? or is it real? and I really win this money?below you can read
the the original e-mail of this peopel.please give me a
solution.don't forget that I have only 5 days time thanking you very
much in advance' :-)
do you really believe that a multi million pound draw would use yahoo
accounts?
Mrcheerful
anything mentioning fiduciary agent is always an attempt at a scam
Steve
2008-04-27 09:57:11 UTC
Good grief do people think we were born yesterday.....
Steve
Jim
2008-04-27 10:10:57 UTC
Post by Steve
Good grief do people think we were born yesterday.....
Yes.
.

Hee Hee Hee <SMIRK> Tee Tee Tee.....
Martin Milan
2008-04-27 15:26:22 UTC
Post by babak khosravi
hi evrybody,
I am from Holland, and just a newbi. few days ago I got this e-mail
from somebody from England, and they sugest That I have won 1000,000
Ponds, and ask me to send information,to send me the money.but I can't
trust them,and my english is not so good, would you please help me, to
find out that :is it a phishing?or a scam? spam?a junk e-mail, rubish?
or is it real? and I really win this money?below you can read the the
original e-mail of this peopel.please give me a solution.don't forget
that I have only 5 days time thanking you very much in advance'
:-)
Think about this matey - it's very difficult to win a lottery that you
haven't actually entered.

This is a scam - which I found by using Google to search for the postcode
that you supplied. Here's a page for you to look at:

http://419.bittenus.com/lotteries/THENATIONALLOTTERY.htm

The big clue however was the sum they claimed you had won. With the way
that the UK national lottery works, you would never win such a round amount
- it would almost always be a matter of so many pounds and so many pence...

Hope this clears it up.

Martin
Blah
2008-04-28 09:16:28 UTC
Post by babak khosravi
hi evrybody,
I am from Holland, and just a newbi. few days ago I got this e-mail from
somebody from England, and they sugest That I have won 1000,000 Ponds, and
ask me to send information,to send me the money.but I can't trust them,and
my english is not so good, would you please help me, to find out that :is it
a phishing?or a scam? spam?a junk e-mail, rubish? or is it real? and I
really win this money?below you can read the the original e-mail of this
peopel.please give me a solution.don't forget that I have only 5 days time
thanking you very much in advance'
:-)
I live just down the road from there - send me £100 and I'll collect it
for you!