Living Abroad
G***@googlemail.com
2008-01-19 16:06:08 UTC
Hi

I was made redundant in June 2007. Following advise from this group I
informed the CSA that I was redundant, signed on for Job Seekers
Allownce and received my notice of zero rating. I then left the
country. I have recently received a letter from the CSA addressed to
my new address (it's not been forwarded by the GPO) asking if I
intend to reside permanently or temporarily abroad, if I have
property in the UK and if I still have a UK bank account. I am still
not working - living off the proceeds of my redundancy.

What would be the consequences of ignoring this letter?

Assuming that this is not an option, and that I do own property in the
UK and still have a UK bank account what are they going to do?

Regards
Gilbert
c***@fsmail.net
2008-01-19 18:50:30 UTC
I do not belive they have any right whatsoever to ask if you have a
bank acount - its none of their business. If you owe arrears,or more
to the point if they think you owe arrears, even if you don't, they
will simply apply to seize the account by applying for a Liability
Order in your absence and then a 3rd Party debt order. If your abroad
they may weel do this before you know anything about it.

If you tell them you have a property they will put a Charging Order
on that so you will not be able to sell or they could apply to force
you to sell it to pay off arrears. I don't think they have any right
to be asking you thse questions - your reponses have no effect
whatsoever on any maintence calculation.

You could respond by asking them on what Legal basis are you required
to provide this information and to please explain why they require it.

As for residing permanently or temporary, you may tell them 'I do not
know'

Usually it is usually best to give them the minimum information you
are required to give them by Law.

At the moment they are trying all kinds of fiddles to cook up
enforment figures and increase debt collection using any mean within
or outside the Law. So beware of being dupped of falling into one of
their ambuses.
Gilbert
G***@googlemail.com
2008-01-19 22:39:03 UTC
Post by c***@fsmail.net
I don't think they have any right
to be asking you thse questions - your reponses have no effect
whatsoever on any maintence calculation.
I did wonder as one of the questions is "do I have any family in the
UK" and another "what is my reason for moving abroad". There's no
mention of money or arrears.

Regards
Gilbert
c***@fsmail.net
2008-01-21 13:43:43 UTC
The vagueness of the CSA request is unhelpful and puzzelling. Perhaps
you should ask what they mean by 'family'.

They may want to believe or suspect you deliberately mad yourself
redundant and try to argue you did it to deprive yourself as earnings
- in which case there are provisions in the Legilation to caslculate
what you would have owed had you not deliberatly (in their opinion)
deprived yourself of earnings. However, any appeal against their
assessment could be timed out depending how long ago the assement was
made. Much more background info would be needed

If you feel the CSA have ulterior motives for contacting you you need
to get advice from someone like NACSA who can go through the deatil
and advise.

...and just because there is no mention of money or arrears don't
assume anything - the purpose of the CSA is to do just one thing -
calculate and collect was is or was owed.
Gilbert
Gilbert
You are frightening me .....
c***@fsmail.net
2008-01-21 23:05:56 UTC
No need to be worried but just exercise caution in what you say to the
CSA.
The info you provided here is very limited so the vaue of any advice
as such is also limited and if you are concerned you need to speak to
someone who you can tell all the facts - like NACSA

It may be the CSA request is quite innocuous. they may even want to
close the case if you have zero liability and no debt and you do not
intend to return. This is just one many of scenarios. Fact is
occasionaly they are up to various tricks, or more frequently simply
incompetence so it pays anyone, particularly fathers, to be careful.
A call or letter to them asking why they want this information why may
be very enlightening.

Any past assesments cannot be changed by Appeal if they have not been
appealed to a Tribunal by either the mother or father within a month
of the assessment notice and certainly within a year (provided there
is a good excuse why the appeal was not lodged earlier).

If you were made redundant by an emplyer its difficult to see what the
CSA can do about that as not your fault. Again you need to seek
advice as to how living abroad may affect your liability now or in the
future and you cannot take what the CSA tell you as correct - they
have a habbit of making things up to suit and many 'officers' are
poorly trained and swimkjply do not know what they are talking about.
NACSA CHAIR
2008-01-22 22:36:01 UTC
The questions that are being asked are to determine if there are grounds
to deem you as being habitually resident. if you own a property, or
have a bank account here in the UK - that can deem you as being
habitually resident, and allows CSA jurisdiction to collect maintenance
from you
Gilbert
G***@googlemail.com
2008-01-23 11:33:46 UTC
Post by NACSA CHAIR
The questions that are being asked are to determine if there are grounds
to deem you as being habitually resident. if you own a property, or
have a bank account here in the UK - that can deem you as being
habitually resident, and allows CSA jurisdiction to collect maintenance
from you
Presumably the CSA use different criteria to establish residency than
do the Inland Revenue?

Following my redundancy, I was finding it impossible to obtain
employment in the UK which I suspect was largely due to my age. So we
decided to try abroad where we could live more cheaply. We've given
ourselves a year to find work here as the redunandancy money will
allow us to survive that long. With that in mind we rented our
property in the UK and retained a UK bank account to faciltate the
payment of the rent and paying the mortgage in UK. If after a year we
haven't made it we'll return. We've obtained residency permits over
here and are activley looking for work and, when & if, we find work, i
have no problem resuming payments to the CSA.

Regards
Gilbert
NACSA CHAIR
2008-01-23 23:07:32 UTC
If your circs are as described, CSA will almost certainly be pursuing
you for maintenance still. Whist you are overseas and especially if you
are not working, you would be on nil assessment...but it would pay to
communicate with them to prevent any IMAs building up and charging your
account on a much higher level.