Self-Employed - Failure to hand over balance sheets
Tony
2008-07-07 12:12:58 UTC
Hi,

I am just seeking confirmation on how the CSA deals with self-employed
people. I have historically been informed that when on CS2 a self-employed
individual can refuse to hand over copies of the balance sheets ('the
books') and that they will get an interim assessment of £30 pw. Is this
correct as I have recently been told that this may not the case. If a
self-employed person on CS2 refuses to disclose their income what are the
penalties (if any?).

Cheers.
Lee Phillips
2008-07-07 16:14:26 UTC
The £30 amount is mainly used as a temporary figure for those who are
genuinely unable to provide accounts (e.g. new business just started
up). Once those accounts are available, everything is
converted/backdated using the standard calculation.

For those that refuse to supply the income.... In theory, they can take
you to court as failing to supply information is now a criminal offence.
However, it's far more likely that they'll just send a referral to the
Inland Revenue and get the relevant details from there. This can take a
few weeks though and so arrears could be a factor when it's finally done.
Cheers.
Tony
2008-07-07 21:33:11 UTC
Post by Lee Phillips
The £30 amount is mainly used as a temporary figure for those who are
genuinely unable to provide accounts (e.g. new business just started
up). Once those accounts are available, everything is
converted/backdated using the standard calculation.
For those that refuse to supply the income.... In theory, they can take
you to court as failing to supply information is now a criminal offence.
However, it's far more likely that they'll just send a referral to the
Inland Revenue and get the relevant details from there. This can take a
few weeks though and so arrears could be a factor when it's finally done.
That's helped clarify the uncertainty.

Many thanks.
Cheers.
Fletcher
2008-07-08 00:21:34 UTC
You have to provide info if they ask for it and you have it, if not you can
get £1000.00 for failing to provide info. They do prosecute and actual fines
range from £50.00 upwards.

Advise you to answer there questions in writing only, don't talk on the
phone.