First Contact from CSA Advice needed.
Yonmons
2008-08-03 09:32:21 UTC
Right out of the blue on a Saturday afternoon I got a call from the
CSA yesterday. I was astounded.
I am seperated from my wife of 28yrs, my youngest daughter is 17 in a
few days time. Has never worked or should I say stuck a job since
leaving school, So she spent the most of last year on a course at the
local tech college, I have paid her regulary directly into her bank
account. spending money etc (obviously I have these payments on my
statements) So now I have the fast talking lady on the phone from the
CSA, I think my ex brought them in because daughter was lined up to go
on a 2 years course starting in September, although my further
enquiries reveal she failed to attend the "Taster day" this week so is
not now on the course (par for the course with her) BUT not
withstanding that. I need guidance from someone experience in these
things. What is my obligation with the CSA, and when does my
"obligation" to my daughter end, and in what circumstances.
CSA lady said "It could be 19" when I asked her. She did a quick
totting up and a rough estimatet is 47 pounds per week, however I am
being sent a pack, and a request for 3 pay slips. (which is great, I
only started work with this employer 3 months ago) The money is not
good but after 7 years of contracting and the current economic climate
I thought I would take a perm job, something I really am re thinking
this morning.
I was asked if my ex receives Child benefit for daughter honest answer
is I dont know. What is the significance of this ?
I was going to ring the ex to discuss today but think I will hang back
to cool off,and get some info on this.
Any help\advice\input would be appreciated.
Eyan
2008-08-03 10:11:20 UTC
Post by Yonmons
[...]
I'm suprised they asked about Child Benefit!

The CSA do not know if your ex claims CB for your daughter? They should not
have rung you. CB is the referee if you like, as long as your ex claims it
for your daughter you have got to pay.....

You will have to pay if she stops in Full time education up to the age of
19. 15% of take home pay.
Yonmons
2008-08-03 16:42:44 UTC
Further to, I spoke to the ex today, she had stopped claiming Child
Benefit...BUT has just started claiming again. ! (how good is that
not !)
I have tried to negotiate a payment with her, but I think she has been
"briefed", and am awaiting her recall sometime in the week.
Not looking good,but maybe I will play by the CSA rules, it may
ultimately work in my favour, I have said all payments into daughters
bank account now stop, and
the internet which I pay for in the house I will give one months
notice on, maybe it will get daughter to get bottom in gear and do
what a lot of others do ...that is actually work for a living. WHAT a
weekend, this has worn me out !
AND i get the feeling it is only just begining.
Eyan
2008-08-03 22:04:22 UTC
Post by Yonmons
Further to, I spoke to the ex today, she had stopped claiming Child
Benefit...BUT has just started claiming again. ! (how good is that
not !)
I have tried to negotiate a payment with her, but I think she has been
"briefed", and am awaiting her recall sometime in the week.
Not looking good,but maybe I will play by the CSA rules, it may
ultimately work in my favour, I have said all payments into daughters
bank account now stop, and
the internet which I pay for in the house I will give one months
notice on, maybe it will get daughter to get bottom in gear and do
what a lot of others do ...that is actually work for a living. WHAT a
weekend, this has worn me out !
AND i get the feeling it is only just begining.
15% take home pay matey!

stop all payments you do right! Explain to daughter why the payments stop

Welcome to hell :)
Muggins
2008-09-06 00:10:46 UTC
You were probably asked about child benefit as its unclear what
position your daughter is in and if your ex is claiming child benefit
as your daughter is eligible (up to 19 in full time education) then
she will be eligible for CSA. If your ex has stopped claiming child
benefit as your daughter is not staying in education then the CSA
cease to be involved.

The reason the CSA are probably involved is that your EX is claiming
means tested benefits such as income support or job seekers
allowance. Once she claims these then the CSA AUTOMATICALLY become
involved whether she likes it or not and if she doesn't give them info
on you then she risks having her own benefits cut so dont get mad at
her, its the system she has no choice.