CS2
Tony
2008-05-30 12:01:39 UTC
Hi all,

I'm woefully out of touch with the way in CS2 now operates and after a
short spell unemployed and then self-employed I'm considering taking
up a permanent position, subject to a final offer. I'm responsible for
paying for a single child on CS2 which IIRC is levied at 15% of net
earnings, subject to allowed deductions from income.

Although I am in a relationship my other half and I live at our own
and separate addresses. I have no dependants living with me. The
position is salaried, so there will be no complications with overtime,
bonuses etc. The salary is £28,000 pa. My basic calculation is that I
will at most and on a monthly basis pay:

Monthly salary - tax & ni * 15%

Which by my reckoning means that I would pay a monthly maximum of
around:

28000 / 12 * 0.76 * 0.15 = £266 pcm

Would this be what I actually pay for one child on CS2, or am I
allowed to make any deductions from my net salary for rent and
wot-not? If so what and how much?

This is quite urgent as I need to make some hasty long term plans so
if anyone can post a reply soon I would be grateful.

Thanks all,

Tony.
JMC
2008-05-30 12:06:53 UTC
Post by Tony
[...]
That's the minimum you will pay Tony.
However they will always be able to come after you for more, and when
you query it they will issue and attachment of earnings order to your
new employer and then control how much you pay and when. See if you
can come to some arrangement with your new prospective employer with
regards to him taking you on as a contractor, thus enabling you to
retain the benefits of self employment.
They can however take all the items which you claimed as tax free
expenses as a self e,mployed person if they deem you to be working in
1 location as I just found out!
Tony
2008-05-30 12:58:53 UTC
On Fri, 30 May 2008 05:06:53 -0700 (PDT), JMC
Post by JMC
Post by Tony
[...]
Ouch! :(
Post by JMC
However they will always be able to come after you for more, and when
you query it they will issue and attachment of earnings order to your
new employer and then control how much you pay and when. See if you
can come to some arrangement with your new prospective employer with
regards to him taking you on as a contractor, thus enabling you to
retain the benefits of self employment.
Unfortunately that is not an option. I wish it were though.
Post by JMC
They can however take all the items which you claimed as tax free
expenses as a self e,mployed person if they deem you to be working in
1 location as I just found out!
Can you not however refuse to provide your books? IIRC it used to be
that if you did refuse then on CS1 they could hit you with an interim
assessment of up to £100 pw and on CS2 up to £30 pw? (I'm probably
totally mistaken here!)

Thanks for the quick reply BTW.
Mick Beeby
2008-07-13 15:15:11 UTC
I don't know why JMC says that will be the MINIMUM you will pay, it should
be the MAXIMUM.

This is the basic calculation and then you would get further reduction for
Pension payments, any other children living with you and number of
overnights you have your child.
Lostout
2008-06-01 22:14:18 UTC
To answer your question re deductions - to my knowledge the only deduction
allowed from your income (after tax and NI) before the CSA take their cut
are pension contributions, a percentage deduction for any children you may
have living with you (none in your case), and a percentage reduction on the
assessment for the number of nights your child stays with you per week(eg.
2/7 deduction for 2 nights per week)

There are no allowances for rent,mortgage,travel to work, expenses to visit
your children
Tony.
Tony
2008-06-02 09:27:08 UTC
On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 23:14:18 +0100, "Lostout"
Post by Lostout
To answer your question re deductions - to my knowledge the only deduction
allowed from your income (after tax and NI) before the CSA take their cut
are pension contributions, a percentage deduction for any children you may
have living with you (none in your case), and a percentage reduction on the
assessment for the number of nights your child stays with you per week(eg.
2/7 deduction for 2 nights per week)
There are no allowances for rent,mortgage,travel to work, expenses to visit
your children
Cheers. That's what I needed to know.