Contacted over debt - advice please
Bert Fry
2009-10-07 21:22:58 UTC
Guys,

strolling along life's highway minding my own business when suddenly CSA
phone saying I've come up on their list and I have to cough up pronto
for a debt.

Now this debt was incurred over 4 yrs ago and amounts to some £400 odd.
I left my job, sick of being ripped off 30% net, crap from the ex
etc etc. So I've been a house husband ever since with no income.

I then receive a letter demanding payment and spelling out their new
mega powers if I fail to comply.

I'm confused. The CSA know I have zero income, yet suddenly demand payment.

Where do I stand? What can I do?

Best wishes,

Fred
redmelons
2009-10-08 16:11:38 UTC
Post by Bert Fry
I'm confused. The CSA know I have zero income, yet suddenly demand payment.
The first thing I would do is go and see your MP. MP's have a
'hot-line' to the CSA on which they should be able to talk to somebody
who actually understands the rules. Anybody you talk to by yourself
will only be concerned with boosting their bonus, will ignore all rules
and the law, and will try to pressure you into making payments you
can't afford.

All arrears are negotiable, but the CSA have given themselves a new
target of clearing arrears within 2 years. Your MP should first check
that you do actually owe the CSA money (they told me that I owed over
£3000, but when I went to my MP they admitted that they actually owed
me money!). If he can't get them to bugger off, then they should accept
£4 per week which would clear the £400 arrears in less than two years.

Do please go and talk to your MP and ask for his help.
Bert Fry
2009-10-08 20:33:14 UTC
Thanks Red.

Very good point about boosting their bonus. When I came to my senses and
realised, against all better judgement, that I was engaged in
(inevitably futile) conversation with the CSA, I cut her short and
demanded comms by letter only. She then launched into her spiel about
their inflated powers, 40% DEOs etc. I hung up. Then received the letter.

I could always give them my old car - worth about £500, 120K miles, 2
careful owners etc. Would they take it?

Bert
l00zer
2009-11-13 19:07:38 UTC
Post by Bert Fry
[...]
You could try paying the debt. You made the child, you step up and
take responsibility for it. You fucking little weasel.