CSA and Debt owed to them
a***@gmail.com
2008-10-28 11:42:19 UTC
About 2 years ago i started working for my current employer, after
about a period of a year the CSA finally sorted out my details but
during this time a rather large debt had built up with them.

Instead of the approx 13% deductions in wages they should be stopped i
am no being deducted over 50% of my earnings via a DEO, this is making
it extremely difficult to live on, i have already had to give up my
previous accomodation and move back in with the parents and i may face
eviction from there soon and be forced onto the streets, thus losing
my job and everything else.

paying £550 a month seems extortionat and i have been told there is
little i can do about it, but there has to be something, it just seems
so highly unfair.

I don't mind paying support for my child, not in the slightest, i do
however mind being robbed of half my money due to their incompetence
to sort my situation out sooner and allowing the debt to build up.
Even a reduction down to £250 a month would make all the difference.

is there ANYTHING i can do short of quitting my current job and living
on benefits, an avenue i really don't want to go down.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Gareth
Fletcher
2008-10-29 01:56:12 UTC
Check their calculations, they are only allowed legaly to take 40% of your
net pay.

Join NACSA for help and advice

Fair don't enter into it, neither do kids lives or even child support, your
dealing with the Provisional wing of the Treasury, cash for Gordon to bail
out failing banks and ensure the wealthy fat cats have plenty of cash so
they never end up in the cluthches of CSA!

Seriously consider self employment, unemployment or emigration

Welcome to the British Gestapos version of hell

Gareth
a***@gmail.com
2008-10-30 10:14:20 UTC
I have a few meetings arranged with the Citizens advice bureau and
others, i got confirmation from the CSA that my appeal to them has
been received and they will try and make a decision within 10 weeks,
so i expect i might hear back from them in 10 months...

Will see what happens over the next few days but i feel i may be
joining NACSA, thanks for the advice.
redmelons
2008-10-30 17:01:25 UTC
i am no being deducted over 50% of my earnings via a DEO
That is illegal. As fletcher wrote, the maximum the CSA can take is
40% with a DEO.

The CSA will mess you around as long as possible, deny that they have
received letters or phone calls, lose your case notes a few times and
just plain ignore you to keep you paying as much as possible for as
long as possible.

The best way to get it sorted quickly is to do it through your MP. Go
and see your MP and ask him/her to write to the CSA on your behalf.
Explain how much the CSA are taking from you. Make it clear that you
are willing to pay the regular assessment (15% for one child if you
are on the new scheme) plus a reasonable amount towards arrears, and
ask that the DEO be lifted to allow you to pay by standing order. The
CSA will say that they have a target to clear arrears within 2 years,
but arrears payments are negotiable.

If you write to the CSA always add 'copy to MP' at the bottom, and ask
your MP to help you. Never phone the CSA, and tell them not to phone
you - they deny anything said on the phone which isn't to their
advantage.

The CSA WILL ignore you, but they will NOT ignore your MP. It also
helps to let MP's know about the real impact of the CSA upon people's
lives.

--
I'm using an evaluation license of nemo since 532 days.
You should really try it!
http://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo
a***@googlemail.com
2008-11-03 20:42:14 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
[...]
Have a look at http://www.afairercsaforall.co.uk

Its for ALL parents dealing with the CSA resident and non resident,
the main site has lots of info and a link to the forum, where you can
receive advice and support ~ It completely FREE.

We have also just started a petition, please show your support.
aeshna
2009-02-08 22:58:01 UTC
[...]

Hi,

I see from your post and Redmelons earlier in the year that I am in the same
boat now.

The following may be of interest.

Re-establishing Collections
Arrears Amount
This section provides guidance on the amount of arrears to expect when
reaching a voluntary agreement to repay arrears or when Imposing a DEO/DER.
When an NRP is liable to pay arrears of Child Maintenance, CS2 calculates
and proposes an arrears schedule based on a maximum of 5% of net earnings.
Arrears payments are paid in addition to any ongoing Child Support payments
that may be due.
The amount that is paid towards the arrears is a Secretary of State decision
and therefore discretion can be used to collect more or less or than 5% of
the net income.
When negotiating an arrears amount with the NRP, the starting point for
negotiations must be the full arrears balance.
If the NRP agrees to pay more than 5% of net earnings, this cannot be
enforced if the NRP defaults on the agreement.

regards
TM
Eyan The Mackem (oo)
2009-02-08 23:51:29 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
About 2 years ago i started working for my current employer, after
about a period of a year the CSA finally sorted out my details but
during this time a rather large debt had built up with them.
Yep!
Post by a***@gmail.com
Instead of the approx 13% deductions in wages they should be stopped i
am no being deducted over 50% of my earnings via a DEO, this is making
it extremely difficult to live on, i have already had to give up my
previous accomodation and move back in with the parents and i may face
eviction from there soon and be forced onto the streets, thus losing
my job and everything else.
40% max matey! U been on the beer?
Post by a***@gmail.com
paying £550 a month seems extortionat and i have been told there is
little i can do about it, but there has to be something, it just seems
so highly unfair.
40% max
Post by a***@gmail.com
I don't mind paying support for my child, not in the slightest, i do
however mind being robbed of half my money due to their incompetence
to sort my situation out sooner and allowing the debt to build up.
Even a reduction down to £250 a month would make all the difference.
Write to your MP!
Post by a***@gmail.com
is there ANYTHING i can do short of quitting my current job and living
on benefits, an avenue i really don't want to go down.
No